I don't really like pickleloaf.

I don't really like pickleloaf...I don't really like blogging. But here I am, blurting out whatever is on my mind.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

hold and release


" The inward reality of simplicity involves a life of joyful unconcern for ones possessions. Neither the greedy nor the miserly know this liberty. It comes from an inward spirit of trust."
I've been thinking a lot about holding and releasing.
Holding onto what energy I do have, not giving my time away to others or to God, thinking that if I do, I'll be left empty...
...And releasing that lie, spending exhausted hours with children who God speaks through to say that He loves me using our very personal symbols.
Holding onto my money and carefully laying out what I'll buy with what money worrying about money when I'm richer than most people in the world...
...And releasing by realizing that if God takes my wallet out of my purse he does it for a reason, and lo and behold I am still provided for and taken care of.
Holding onto my pride and stubborness selfishness and defensiveness..
...And releasing it with apologies and tears.
Holding onto my striving and self-improvements
...And releasing myself into the spacious and refreshing freedom of God's grace.
I often reason in my head that holding on makes better sense. It seems safer. But there is no abundant life there. There is no real peace or love there. You can't get filled if you've put the cap on.
May God show us what we're holding on to...
And invite us to release ourselves from fear...and into trust.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Elli, thanks so much for this. This has been a theme for me lately. I hang on so tightly. But you have spoken truth - there is no abundant life there.